26 March 2012

Saying goodbye to close friends.

Throughout our european adventure we've had our good friends to share our experience with. Roy made friends with Mitch early on in his uni course and a few years later I became really good friends with his wife - who I have mentioned a fair few times on here, Lu. We've travelled to various countries with them and watched as their little family of two turned into a beautiful family of three. Even though they lived 8 hours away by car in the Netherlands, we still managed to catch up with them on a regular basis. We drove up there a few times, they drove down here a couple of times and I flew up there a few times to get my fix of baby cuddles with their lovely son Oliver. I blame them for making me think about kids a lot more than I have previously. I think possibly my ages has something to do with it but Oliver is enough to turn any person into a kid lover. He truly is a lovely baby. A very happy, friendly and oh-so-cute little boy.

Mitch's work contract ended in March this year so back at the end of last year he went through the process of applying for jobs. He's had his sights on a place in San Francisco for years and it happened to work in his favour this time and he got offered a position there. So in the last few months they packed up their life and last week they flew their little family to California where the sun shines and people speak our mother language, albeit a little differently.

A few weeks before they took off I flew up to the Netherlands for one last catch up before they moved over the other side of the planet. I got lots of lovely baby cuddles, sucked and slobbered on cheeks, had many laughs and great talks with Lu.

Oliver is a particularly social boy but I feel a bit special because he seems to respond to me in a way that seems he has a soft spot for his unofficial-aunty Tiff. He's doesn't hold back his smiles, he constantly provides me with laughs and joy and never denies me a big, squishy cuddle. He giggles in a way that stops time for a second and looks at me with those big, dark eyes.

I'm going to miss seeing them as often as we've been lucky to be able to see them but they are doing something that they've dreamt of doing for years and I know that we'll see them again very soon. I wish them all the luck in their new surroundings and I know that they'll make the most of their situation. I'm looking forward to more squishy cuddles from Oliver but until I see them in the flesh again, skype will have to do. Lucky someone invented skype!

1 comment:

  1. Nawwwww, I really miss you :-( Living out of the same time zone sucks! Mitch and I keep saying how we wished you guys were over here with us ;-) Ollie sure does love his Aunty Tiff - I think he is wanting another skype chat with you again soon. He's putting in a request for panda ballet and some sound effects hehe!

    ReplyDelete