02 November 2011

Broadway and Times Square

No trip to New York City would be complete without a walk down Broadway, through Times Square. We wandered along Broadway from the south, up towards the giant 'square' that is covered - every inch, by billboards, tv screens and advertising. It's bustling, overwhelming and at night it looks like it's day time. Unfortunately when we went at night I didn't take my camera (stupid) so there's no photos of it at night - but googling it will turn up some good pictures if you can't imagine or don't know what it looks like. Here's the pictures I took during the day.

















We wandered - wide-eyed around trying to take in all of the sights. As I said before, it's quite overwhelming. I wasn't sure where to look, there was so much happening around. It's lined with shops, theatres and restaurants and we happened upon the Minskoff Theatre which houses the stage production of The Lion King. I've been fascinated with the thought of seeing it on stage because I absolutely loved the movie, ever since we saw it at the cinema and my grandparents bought the video for me for Christmas. We lined up at the box office to inquire and decided that we'd like to see it. They had some tickets available but they were right up in the back corner but we were there, we wanted to see it and being up the back didn't sound so bad. We got our lovely tickets and headed back out to Times Square where I walked around with the thought of seeing The Lion King on BROADWAY! I was one happy lady! But I had to be patient and wait two nights to see it.



The show was fantastic and the seats were nowhere near as bad as we were expecting. We could see the stage fine and as the show started with the famous sunrise and song - I must admit, I was getting a little bit teary. It's been a while since I've watched the movie and hearing the song brought back all of those happy memories of when I was young. They definitely did the movie justice. There's something really, really nice about hearing great, live music and seeing such talented human beings bringing a story to life. I walked out all starry-eyed and full of endorphins buzzing around my body. It was such a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment