01 October 2010

Some kind of obsession

Nespresso... It wasn't all that well known in Australia except to a few coffee lovers who wanted to take their coffee making experience to the next level. Nestlé have marketed this product greatly in their home country and it's surrounding neighbours because it seems that making coffee using the Nepresso capsule is the only way to do it in Europe. I spotted the rows and rows of Nespresso coffee machines in the local supermarket and wondered what was so good about them. Why not just buy a regular coffee machine and use regular ground coffee instead of paying 50 cents a pop for little capsules of coffee to use in special coffee machines?

I was kind of intrigued with these shiny pieces of equipment but not all that motivated to buy one right there and then so I went home and did a little bit of googling to find out what the fuss was all about. I read threads on a forum for English speaking expats in Switzerland and nearly every post was in favour of this pod coffee. By the looks of the thread, these people couldn't get enough of it. It wasn't until I walked over the bridge to our local recycling centre that I realised just how obsessed this nation is with this brand of coffee.

They have dedicated recycling bins for the Nespresso capsules.
When we moved into our apartment, our friend - the guy who used to live in our apartment, left us his old Nespresso machine because he no longer had a use for it. I was a tad excited about this because that meant that we wouldn't have to fork out 200CHF to buy one ourselves. It sat in our cupboard for a few weeks since you can't buy the capsules in any old shop (you either have to order them online or buy them from special Nespresso stores). I decided to take a trip up to Vevey because I figured since this town was the home of Nestlé itself, I was bound to be able to buy the capsules somewhere. With a little inside information from one of Roy's colleagues who lives in Vevey, I made my way to Nestlé headquarters. I wandered around the giant, glass building in search of a place that resembled somewhere that I could buy these elusive little capsules until I asked the security guard who pointed me to the Nestlé shop. I entered the Mecca of all things tasty and headed straight for the shelves of coffee and picked out a selection of the strongest coffees and headed to the check out (with Milo in my basket also).

I was a good girl that afternoon because no matter how much I wanted to crack open a box to sample what everyone seems to love so much, I waited until Roy came home so he too could experience the unveiling of the true coffee experience.



Okay, so yeah.. I've jumped on the bandwagon of Nespresso lovers and while it just tastes like coffee, it tastes pretty damn good - without the mess that goes with a standard espresso machine. I just need to get my hands on a nice espresso cup to go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment