07 September 2010

Food!

Before I continue on with our Paris adventure I thought I would make a post about some of the food that we had in the UK.

  • Triple choc cookie from Ben's Cookies - Covered market, Oxford. (beautiful, gooey, warm, scrumptious... I want more!)
  • Cadbury's Creme egg + malt thickshake from Moo-Moo's Milkshakes - Covered market, Oxford. (Really tasty! There's probably too many options to choose from but it would be good if you went there a lot so you could try heaps of different combinations.)
  • Mixed millions from the sweet shop in Burford. (A tastier alternative to skittles with better flavours)

  • Iced bun from Huffkins. (Probably the nicest looking iced bun I've seen, the bun was a little dry but it was tasty)

  • Tesco sandwiches - I got a tad sick of Egg and Cress sandwiches by the end of the trip but they were good when we didn't have any cooking facilities (which was a lot of the time) or if you want a quick lunch on the run.
  • Sainsbury's sandwiches - Same deal but a little bit better quality. A great sandwich was the good ol' "Ploughman's"
  • Waitross sandwiches - a bit more gourmet compared to the two previous options but they also had the price tag to with it.
  • Marks and Spencers - they had the same price tag as Waitross because they're fancy but heaps more of a selection of food.
  • Pret a Manger - this was by FAR my favourite sandwich place but we could only get them in the bigger cities in England and they're a lot more expensive but REALLY good! - Posh cheddar and pickle artisan baguette was my choice. (Oh my! It's my most favourite sandwich in the whole wide world! I didn't have anything else at Pret because this one was WAY too good to have anything else)

  • Belgium bun from the bakery in Chipping Norton. (mmmm... tasty, sticky goodness!)
  • Pimms with all the bits! (a nice mild tasting drink with tasty, alcohol soaked fruit to eat once you've finished drinking it)
  • Guinness... well there's no need to explain this drink! It's good! It takes a while to buy it at the bar but it's worth waiting for. 

  • Welsh cakes! They are really good but best eaten while they're still warm... mmmmm! I wish I was Welsh because of these babies! They're much better than stupid lamingtons!
  • Flapjacks - these things are probably as high on my yummy list as Welsh cakes. Tasty, buttery goodness!
  • The Plough Inn food... ALL OF IT! Mushroom wellington = OMG! Breaded mushrooms = yum! Falafel = mmmm... Haloumi skewers = OMFG! 
  • Beer - We tried a heap of different beers.. I'll try and remember them all - Hobgoblin, Caledonian, John Smiths, Guinness (of course), Carling, Boddingtons, Tennants, Old Speckled Hen, Old Hooky, Greene King, Abbot Ale, Carlsberg.. and I'm embarrassed to admit this but we got a Fosters out of pure curiosity. Some of these were drunk out of tea cups!
  • Espresso hot chocolate from a cafe in Witney - one might also call this a "mocha" but it seemed more hardcore since it had the word "espresso" in it. Damn good! and cheap too!
  • Many milkshakes were had at the old mill cafe in Chipping Norton too.
  • Cream tea - like a devonshire tea! Tea or coffee served with scones with jam and clotted cream. Clotted cream is quite different to whipped cream. I'm not sure I liked it all that much...
We had our own tea party at Chipping Norton.. who wouldn't if they were provided with this tea set?
  • There was many great breakfasts eaten on our trip. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day so it was pretty important for us to have a good breakfast otherwise it would set me up for a day of grumpiness and people biting. Luckily there was only a minimal biting...
  • Something I loved about pubs in the UK is that the tables were always stocked full of heaps of different varieties of condiments! I'm a bit of a sucker for a good condiment. They had... mayonnaise, brown sauce, tomato sauce, tartare sauce, English mustard, French mustard, salad creme, French dressing, Italian dressing... so many to choose from. I was in heaven! One night I was intrigued by the selection that I loaded my chips with about three different condiments at once. Tasty!
  • Marks and Spencers have these great tubs of fatty snacks that we had to buy.  There was a tub with chocolate brownies with white chocolate sauce and choc chips for dipping. Flapjacks with chocolate sauce and white choc chips for dipping. Chocolate coated cornflake clumps.....


I'm missing heaps of food off this list because I was stupid and didn't write them down and now I can't remember them all. All of this food talk is making me hungry! I want a posh cheddar and pickle baguette from Pret damnit!

No comments:

Post a Comment