10 May 2012

Travel to England

A couple of weeks ago I left poor Roy to fend for himself for five days. I went on an adventure to England to visit some family. The flight itself is a speedy hour and thirty minutes or so but tack on all of the other travel it makes the trip a fairly long one indeed.

To start with I had to catch the train from Martigny to Geneva Airport which takes about one hour and forty minutes. Add on the recommended two hours before the flight, the hour and a half on the plane, plus about an hour to cover the faffing about that happens on a plane at both ends. Then, if you're lucky to make it onto a bus soon after you arrive at the airport you can cut out a bit of time but, unfortunately for me there was about an hour and half between my flight arriving and the bus to Oxford. The bus to Oxford takes about two hours. Half an hour to get to the train station at Oxford and then another twenty minutes on the train to Banbury. Add all of that together and you get.. hang on, just counting... a grand TEN and a half HOURS.

I consulted google maps and figured out - to drive to Banbury from Martigny (taking a car train through the tunnel to get across the Channel) would take a mere two hours and twenty-one minutes extra. Wow! That's a lot of travelling. But, it was well worth it!

I quite enjoy the whole travelling thing. Airports no longer frustrate me (accept for the two US airports I have been in). It excites me to catch trains, planes and buses. I make sure that I have a book, music or my iPad to entertain me along the way. I have the security process down pat - making sure I have everything I need in accessible places and making sure as to not take anything that could be contraband.

The trip to Geneva airport is beautiful! I never tire of looking at the spectacular mountains that crowd around the lake and the magnificent vineyards at arms reach of the train. I also love the landscape as I travel from Luton to Oxford - particularly at this time of year with the canola fields creating an iridescent, yellow carpet contrasted by the bright, green, lushness of the surrounding shrubs and trees.

Travelling to England - although not my homeland, relaxes my brain compared to the foreign customs and language of Switzerland. I can walk around England at ease knowing that I will be able to communicate with anyone that comes my way. It's rather stressful and embarrassing having to explain to people in Switzerland that I don't really understand them and sometimes when I do actually understand them, I don't have the language skills to respond correctly.

Another thing that I LOVE about England is the food. I think I've raved on here about the food before but it excites me to no end just perusing the aisles of the supermarkets. Everything is labelled extremely well and there is ALWAYS something for this vegetarian to eat and it's usually something that I'm very happy or excited to eat. England realises that vegetarians don't just eat salad. Don't get me started on my love for Pret a Manger and Veggie Percy's from Mark's and Spencer.

I arrived at my sister-in-law's place and they had most of my favourite things to eat. People can always win me over with my favourite foods. They made sure I had my favourite breakfast - Irish potato farls and my favourite sweet - Veggie Percy's and we visited Pret, Sainsbury's, Waitrose and many other places that I love to walk around - mostly with my mouth agape. I've only been to their new house twice now but each time I've felt so at home. I'm quite content on a holiday to England just hanging out, drinking some local brews, eating (of course), catching up with family and the many, many snuggles with Lily the dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment