23 May 2011

So it's been a while

I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front but there is a reason. I actually returned home to the giant island in the southern hemisphere that I call home. If you hadn't guessed, I'm talking about Antartica.. HA. Okay, that was my attempt at humour. Not very funny but that's all I can think of. I went back to Australia to deal with some family stuff for two weeks. I left my poor husband here to fend for himself, mind you, I did leave some very detailed lists on how to work various things and I think he did pretty well in the two weeks while I was gone. But I won't bore you with my adventures in Australia (I couldn't really call it a "Euro-adventure" if I talked about Australia could I?) so I will talk about what we did on the weekend before I jumped on a big, metal flying machine and flew halfway across the world.

We went hiking. A couple of Roy's work colleagues are avid hikers and they organised a nice, leisurely hike that was fit for not-so-avid hikers. We caught the train from Martigny to Le Châble and caught the cable car up past Verbier to Croix-des-Ruinettes and hiked along mostly flat ground to Cabane du Mont-fort. We were surrounded by magnificent mountains, and enjoyed amazing views of the valley below. We were up quite high - 2457m, so there was mushy snow which we happily trudged through. Thanks to our trusty and expensive hiking boots, our feet stayed nice and dry. It even snowed while we were up there which was a bit of a novelty since it had been a couple of months since it had snowed on us. It wasn't very nice snow, but a novelty nonetheless. The coolest part about our hike was the little furry critters we spotted many times throughout our walk. We saw heaps of Marmots! We heard them squeaking to each other as we walked through the hills, warning each other that danger was coming. It was great to stop and just watched them running around through the rocks and grassy hills.


In the telecabine.
The view from the telecabine. 





















Me being a Marmot







2 comments: